GlobalSecurity.org Forums - Security, Defense, and Military Discussion Jobs White Papers Bookstore
Reliable Security Information
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I may be old-fashioned, but ...

Default I may be old-fashioned, but ...

... I prefer good old fashioned rifles, with hitting power, and accuracy at range.

My current favorite is a Mosin-Nagant, using handloaded Norma brass. The rifle was built in 1929, and has an asbolutely pristine bore. I fire this rifle at ranges up to one thousand meters, and with a modern scope and a bipod, I'm getting incredible groupings.

I recently outshot one of my friends, who was using a Winchester Model 70 in .308-NATO. He couldn't believe it, so I reloaded with Hungarian ammo made in 1980. Same result!

I know that lasers move at the speed of light, and I'm all for our military having the finest equipment available. Sometimes, though, I think we overdo it with the high-tech. I'll stick with a big-bore rifle, until they make particle beam blasters for hunters and plinkers!

I quite agree, my old m1911 .. now 100 years old still doing good, some things you can improve on, but why, to make it cheaper, lighter, and less effective..?, 2.7 million of these .45's have been made in the last 100 years, and thats just for Govt. use

"M"
    Is that a keyboard in front of you?

Me too. I really like my Mosin, love it a lot. My son and I each have one, he has a scope on his and we both shoot some nice groups.

Thanks, but I'll stick to my atl (or is that an atlatl ?)

Registered Member

Talking Old School Guns

I agree, the Glock safe-action pistol (Gaston) Glock Co.Austria, and UZI machine gun major Uziel Gal IDF, and the AK 47 semi Rifle Avtomat (Michael )Kalashnikova, 1947 USSR are all classics that are dependable and reliable. While newer weapons may come on line there is a lot to be said for experience. Simply attaching a high tech optical or laser scope to a reliable 'bolt action' rifle is the common operation of the best sharpshooters and snipers. The summer Olympics shooting team from the US has a husband/wife team this year in London, both military and I read about a new rifle that can send a round into a room in a house then explode, guided personal weapons, fascinating!

so jealous about your guys,although we are love the samll arms ,but we just can talk about it at the internet,by the way , Enfield No.4 is my most favourite gun.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information