GlobalSecurity.org Forums - Security, Defense, and Military Discussion Jobs White Papers Bookstore
Reliable Security Information
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which countries are the members of NATO?

Registered Member

Default Which countries are the members of NATO?

Which countries are the members of NATO?

Registered Member

Unhappy NATO members

Sumonht 1990,
    The name NATO stands for North Atlantic Treaty Organization. The members include United States, Canada, Great Britain, France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Luxembourg, Lithuania, Estonia, Iceland, Norway, Poland, Albania, Bulgaria Croatia, Czech republic, Slovakia, Greece, Turkey, Romania, as a start. Many Eastern European members joined after the Soviet Union Collapsed in 1989 and the European Union also includes many of the same nations here. When we look at Political or Military Alliances we must understand the underlying economic relationships and understand the Colonial period in centuries past to see how they will respond with economic sanctions as well as Military strikes as a reprisal for an attack on any member nation or it's interests. I see you are in Bangladesh, After partition of India in 1948 when Pakistan and Bangladesh where formed from India . You are closest to Hindu India although Muslim in Bangladesh. right? I think I did a grade 5 book report on Bangladesh and it was the poorest on earth and prone to flooding during monsoon season. Bangladesh is closer strategically to the SEATO, South East Asia Treaty Organization ;which includes Australia and Japan and counters the influence of China and Myanmar who are not democratic and trtade with nations that support terror..
    Last edited by Duncan Alexander Stewart; 09-06-2012 at 02:31 AM. Reason: additional

Registered Member

SEATO was disbanded 1977 and cannot be compared with NATO.

Registered Member

Default Seato

Marburg-
    Nice link to the list of NATO members, helpful to the person from poor little Bangladesh who started this thread undoubtedly. You have spent a great deal of energy on Katsung47. I searched his name and he has made a career out of blogging with limited references or 'cherrypicking' as you wrote. Sources like the Iranian State news are not reliable for research to say the least and may feed his delusions of Grandeur and feelings of persecution. I did not realize that SEATO South East Asia Treaty Organization was no longer the title of the strateigic alliance in the western Pacific. There are indeed treaties between the U.S. and Taiwan and Japan and South Korea and Australia, I expect. Do you know what they are called ? I was trying to refer our Bangladeshi forum member to a local treaty organisation that might have more relevance to Bangladesh than Europeans like you Canadians identify with.
    Last edited by Duncan Alexander Stewart; 08-28-2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: clarity

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Alexander Stewart View Post
    Marburg-
    Nice link to the list of NATO members, helpful to the person from poor little Bangladesh who started this thread undoubtedly. You have spent a great deal of energy on Katsung47. I searched his name and he has made a career out of blogging with limited references or 'cherrypicking' as you wrote. Sources like the Iranian State news are not reliable for research to say the least and may feed his delusions of Grandeur and feelings of persecution. I did not realize that SEATO South East Asia Treaty Organization was no longer the title of the strateigic alliance in the western Pacific. There are indeed treaties between the U.S. and Taiwan and Japan and South Korea and Australia, I expect. Do you know what they are called ? I was trying to refer our Bangladeshi forum member to a local treaty organisation that might have more relevance to Bangladesh than Europeans like you Canadians identify with.
    The United States has a treaty with Taiwan. It is called “Taiwan Relation Act” or something similar. It is from 1979, and what this act is saying; if China (The Peoples Republic of China) is attacking Taiwan (The Republic of China) the U.S. will assist and defend Taiwan. However, if Taiwan declares independency from mainland China, they will be left alone. I think South Korea and Japan have treaties with the U.S. quite similar as Taiwan, if attacked; the U.S. will assist and defend them

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Alexander Stewart View Post
    Marburg-
    The Katsung guy; just humoring him and I hope he’s taking his pills. Paranoia is a bitch, every forum needs a clown, and we got a paranoid clown.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information