GlobalSecurity.org Forums - Security, Defense, and Military Discussion Jobs White Papers Bookstore
Reliable Security Information
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian Navy vs U.S. Navy

Registered Member

Default Russian Navy vs U.S. Navy

this is a video i made,who do you think would win, and i am just taking about equipment wise not the condition on the equipment and all that

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cFbROu7Ric[/ame]

Registered Member

Well, condition of the hardware is something that has to be considered. The Russian Navy isn't much of a threat anymore--they've degenerated to the point that it makes big headlines when they make a trip down to Venezuela. Simply put--it is very difficult to determine what an engagement would be like if the Russians were to have a fleet as well maintained as our own.

But I'll give it a shot:

Should the conflict remain conventional, the US would win by a wide margin, I'd expect we might either see one of our carriers sunk or severely damaged, but the Russians wouldn't be able to do much else--the Russian fleet is too dilapidated.

Registered Member

yeah i think i would agree,i mean their subs might be a problem but in terms of their surface fleet, there is not much they can do.And if there was a real war i do not think they would even deploy the Kirov and the Kuznetsov in offensive operation,they would need every "good" surface ships they can get to defend their own waters.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by mig3535 View Post
    yeah i think i would agree,i mean their subs might be a problem but in terms of their surface fleet, there is not much they can do.And if there was a real war i do not think they would even deploy the Kirov and the Kuznetsov in offensive operation,they would need every "good" surface ships they can get to defend their own waters.
    Their subs aren't much to be worried about--688Is are leaps ahead of the P971 Akulas, and we've got the Virginias coming online. Their most modern SS/SSK is the P877 Kilo-class, but once cornered, they're no match for a 688 with Mk-48s. The Russian Navy only has a handful--we've got three times as many LAs.

Registered Member

now i would not say that 688i are leaps ahead of the akulas, thats a fair match,and not to mention the kilos in litorial operations might actually have a good or decent change against a 688i deigned to operation in deep waters.

Registered Member

What gives the USN the clear advantage is manpower and training--since the fall of the USSR, the Russian Navy's been in a sore state when it comes to training. From what I've seen, the Russian Air Force pilots only get a handful of stick-time, and that's cheaper that sending an SSN out to sea.

You can't put something like this together and then say "ignore everything but the machinery" because without manpower, you've just got an expensive harbor ornament--which after all is what most of the Russian Navy now is--until they rust through, then you've got a nice environmental disaster to deal with.

Registered Member

well i was just looking at it from the equipment vs equipment view but since you did bring up man power what we got to remember is that the Russians post cold war actually spend the most money on their subs if you were to single out any "equipment",those subs might actually be the most descent condition equipment,if i am not correct in 2008 Russians SSBN carried out like 6 or 7 deterrent patrol, i am sure they send out the other subs enough that if their was a war the crew would be "good enough" to carry out operations.An not to mention they are spending a lot more money and we are seeing more and more Russian naval activity

Registered Member

A thousand dollar boat laden with explosives can sink a billion dollar military ship given the right conditions.
    So what conditions are you talking about?

As far as USN is concerned they are too far ahead of everyone with trillions of dollars invested into R&D, construction, operations, and associated equipment (communication, intelligence etc.).

As US economy goes down a notch the ability of USN to support similar programs in the future will diminish, but the recession is a cold everyone will have to sleep through (its effects are global).

In the coming years (2010-2050) RuN will have to start its ship building program, construct a navy fit for its needs and one that it thinks is necessary. The Ship building plans till 2015 are impressive.

Registered Member

i mean they still have a lot of problems but lets look at china,kind of similar to Russia: a lot of territory to cover and use number over quantity idea to cover all that, the Chinese SSBN did not carry out a single deterrent patrol in 2008, and i think they have 2 SSBN right now, even in bad conditions Russian navy can still be a threat

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by mig3535 View Post
    I mean they still have a lot of problems but lets look at china,kind of similar to Russia: a lot of territory to cover and use number over quantity idea to cover all that,

the Chinese SSBN did not carry out a single deterrent patrol in 2008, and i think they have 2 SSBN right now,

even in bad conditions Russian navy can still be a threat
    Every single navy is a threat, even the Iran's IRGC speed boat

USA, Russia, France, UK have more expereince in building high tech vessels like SSNs/SSBNs.

However the Chinese are on their way up in terms of shipbuilding capacity, and with every successive generation they are closing the gap, it will still take a lot of time, considering that they called the 3 surface combatants and some support ships they sent off Somalia a power projection fleet.

However we are not talking China, we are talking about Russian Navy and its not the Soviet Navy.

The RuN is not planning to fight the USN in a ship to ship way that will require in depth analysis of all the weapons and technology, this type of fight will include the big bombs, and when they are used, it doesn't matter if you win or loose.

So technological advantage of USN doesnot really count vs. RuN.

Forgetting that the real level of fighting that will happen will require a blue water navy that is huge in numbers.

It is here that Russia suffers a disadvantage, the ship building capacity and funds available to USN are too great to be matched by Russia in coming years.

And the experience that USN has built up since the decline of USSR will take even longer to match.

If talking of a ship vs. ship, Navy vs. Navy comparison then by sheer numbers and fire power the USN comes ahead.
    Last edited by deep.blue; 03-12-2009 at 08:03 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information